Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Online consumer behavior

The internet is the fastest growing medium in history. It reached its maturity stage around 2005, where the adoption rate is close to 70%. Both technological and sociocultural factors have assisted the internet to reach its current state. From the technological context, data/information conveyance can now be elevated to different forms ranging from just texts to flash and videos. However, only 50% of Americans have broadband/high speed internet. Therefore it is crucial for the marketers to choose what form would be most effective for the campaign. For my personal project client, I think flash website is the way to go as it does not require a broadband connection.

One of the sociocultural trend that I believe highly affects online exchanges is the "I want what I want when I want it" concept. This concept is further enhanced by the growing numbers of smartphone usage, which allows consumers to surf the internet anywhere without having to be in front of a computer. I believe with the massive amount of information floating around in the internet, it is giving the consumers choices.

The chapter also talked about the five basic things people do online: connect, create, enjoy, learn, and trade. For my personal project client, I think reviews and review sites will fulfill the "connect" aspect. The "create" aspect is always the fun part where people customize and personalize contents. I believe I can use this aspect for my client to create an application on computers and smartphones of creating your own sushi-roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment