Tuesday, May 24, 2011

consumer behavior online

What stood out to me in Chapter 7 were the five basic things that people do online, specifically as creators. As a consumer, I value the time I spend on the internet creating an experience that I enjoy. I like my online experience to be flexible and customizable to my needs, but there are very few avenues to have that happen.

At Northwest Immigrants Rights Project, I think the ability to create would be a new and interesting way to get donors to participate. By having donors and supporters create projects with the organization, NWIRP can further emphasize the importance of supporters in keeping the organization relevant. NWIRP is already doing this by recruiting volunteers through social media. People with varying expertise help with putting together events or assisting clients seeking immigration help.

The key would be to further develop that relationship by allowing those supporters to document and create ways to express their achievements as volunteers, interns or donors. They can create video or written content, or share pictures online. The book suggests that by allowing internet users to create, their engagement and loyalty increases because they are investing their own time to be a part of an experience.

*I currently volunteer at NWIRP as a development intern. The opinions expressed in this blog are my own and do not represent the views of NWIRP*

No comments:

Post a Comment