Sunday, May 29, 2011

End of the year post!

This quarter was awesome, but I'll be the first to say that I didn't learn much from the material we studied. That's not to say that I didn't learn anything at all. It was just the opposite; the class opened my eyes to some ideas that are going to be very valuable for me in the future.

The first thing I learned about is the shifting of the current culture. There are experts in areas that are willing to put up content for free like Wikipedia; the only price being that they enjoyed creating the content (for sheer joy/stress relief). Also there are people with thousands of connections online and are not shy to blast a company on a customer service mishap (And friends that will trust their word and take it as their own). So I guess I learned that the our online behavior is shifting our culture into one that is more sharing and giving (communal). People are beginning to trust online gurus and reviews on products, and a lot of power is being given to the common man because of this.

Also, with the changing and adapting technology (Google TV, iPad book), products still have to continue to appeal to our basest senses. Things like storytelling, sounds in advertising, and tapping into someone's emotions (over logic) have always been effective in selling ideas and products, and will always be. The key though, as a marketer, is to adapt to be creative with the current media that is widely accepted. The successful campaigns will be able to transition from radio and TV advertisements, to using Facebook, Youtube and Twitter to create buzz in order to reach audiences. These things were very important for me as a future marketer, and I am very grateful that I was able to take this course.

No comments:

Post a Comment