Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Socialnomics

What My Neighbor Thinks
The importance of "What my neighbor thinks" is common among many people today. I think that the idea of knowing the opinion of someone who's tried a product or service is comforting in the sense that it's as though we tried the product or service before even purchasing it. This reminds me of the term people use everyday, "Google it". With just the click of a button there is your answer, just like when you ask for your neighbor's opinion. This opinion or review, whether that of your neighbors or Google, it's one in which people value. This value of other's opinions being something that many people in our society care about, makes me wonder if it's more important than simply creating one of your own?

Work & Party Personality
The thought of "Work" & "Party" personalities becoming transparent was something that struck my eye. I've always believed that their should be a barrier between your work life and your party life, it's something I was taught growing up. I've always found it to be more professional having such a barrier, and now, it seems as though this separation between the two will become extinct in the near future. I find a lack of separation can be either good or bad depending on how it's handled, I just wonder if our society, let alone companies, are ready to adapt this one essence.

The Production of Great
I couldn't agree any more with the idea of being "great". In chapter 6, it is said that "the social graph is the world's largest and most powerful referral program", and this statement is one in which makes social media great. The discussion of great products and services rather than simply great messages demonstrates to me that social media is powerful in itself, but these great messages are not as powerful if there is not a production of great products and services. So for a company to "win" in our Socialnomic world, they must be able to deliver a great message along side a great product.

No comments:

Post a Comment