Thursday, April 21, 2011

Socialnomics 1 to 4

I don't really like this book as much as I did Andy's book. Though this book does give some specific examples, I almost feel like we have covered most of the things he has talked about, or I have already experienced myself. The example of the mom at the supermarket in the checkout line for 10 minutes is so true. I find myself checking facebook and twitter now when I am bored, waiting, or trying to catch up on today's news. I am more informed today of world events than I have been in the past thanks to twitter. The concept of free and faster information is so true.

Businesses have no choice but to use social media. This is true, yet I feel like most of the smaller companies that I encounter do not have a facebook, or twitter, or a linkedin. Or they are not using them to their advantage. I like how the book talked about how, just because you have one, doesn't mean you are using it right. The Jet Blue example I thought was awesome. When they start to follow someone on Twitter and they send them the message I thought was very neat, and something I can apply to my personal work.

The most interesting chapter to me was the discussion on how social media has changed the way we date. It is so true. Phone numbers are still important, but using social media is a very easy transition from hey I just met you, to lets go out. It also mentioned Facebook "stalking" which I thought was pretty funny because it is something that I am pretty sure we all do, but none of us like to admit it, or get caught doing it. Tying into this was the concept at the end of chapter three that reality tv isn't really cool anymore. We are more interested in what our friends are doing than reality tv. Why would we watch reality tv when we care more about our friends and can stay up to date with them on a daily basis. My two sisters and mom were not on Facebook when I came to Seattle U, but now they are all on it daily and use it as a way to keep in touch with each other. One sister lives in Virginia, and they almost watch each-others kids grow via pictures on Facebook and status updates.

Thats all folks!

Kiley

No comments:

Post a Comment