Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Digital Media and Tipping point

Digital Media review
After reading the article about Digital Media in 2010. I wasn't much surprised about all of the stats since it is obvious to people nowadays. I actually found two interesting trends which I think could become the most important trend from now on and marketers should pay attention on.

1) The local/group buying and flash sale sites. It mentioned about some fast-growing websites such as Ruelala, Gilt group, Hautelook,... and how they become so successful recently. This part remind me about the first lesson which I learned in this class about Word of Mouth: "To make people talk about your services/products, you have to make them feel special." It is true. The way these websites have done that is brilliant, I have to say. These websites only accept new members through invitation from current members. It makes people curious and eager to know what is in the websites that make them so special that not everyone can access to it. I am personally a members of 3 out of 4 websites were mentioned in the articles. And I remember back to the day I found these websites but couldn't view what's on the websites. I can't help myself but try everything I can to get the access to the website. Not because I am crazy about online shopping or clothing but because of my personal curiosity. And when I got in, I can't help but tell other people about these sites to make me feel special. That I have the access to some websites that not everyone does. People tend to want what they can't have and tell other people what they have but others don't. It is true and these sites have been so successful in doing that. A side story relates with this is about the Hermes Birkin bag. The most coveted bag in the world. Why? Because its quality, its design,... but for the most because it is a rare items and its inaccessibility to public make people want to buy one so bad.
2) Social networking trend. People nowadays spend a lot of time using their social networking sites such as Facebook or Twitter. I have this video to show how people use social network sites and how it can affect people behavior:
http://youtu.be/FEFI-_Sg5G0?hd=1 (I have had problem uploading the video to the blog. So I decided to post an URL link instead.)
Just by looking at how many people have twitter on the phone and how fast they response to a Tweet we can tell how important social network sites are to people nowadays.

Tipping point
The book "Tipping point" mainly uses 3 main factors to explain some rapid changes in society. This make me think so hard about social media trends. Why just in a short period of time, social media become so popular that has influenced our world. Remember back about 7-10 years ago, social media was nothing at the time. I don't even remember anyone that I know was talking about it at that time. Then, social media became just a place to entertain and spend free time, talking to people online. But now, social media has become one of the most important factor in daily life. It people our main method of communication, it appears in business, in marketing, advertising and even in political field. It is a miracle that something has become a trend and influenced our lives in such short period of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment