Friday, April 22, 2011

Socialnomics Part 1

After reading Socialnomics, I am being reminded how scary social media. There is always two side in a story and it implies also to what I have read. Social media is a negative and also a positive thing. Starting with the negative side, what concern me the most is that generation to come will have lack of face-to-face communication. I cant imagine my future children being so timid and only be able to socialize virtually. Even now, children are loosing their abilities to communicate like how it was done years ago; out-spoken, down to earth, and boldly.
Now to one of the positive side of social media, it enables companies to work efficiently and effectively. I like it when the author mention that business models needs to shift because the old models simply does not work any longer. Back in the days when I was young, I never see my dad touches electronic except for his cellphone. Now that the world is going through an technology evolution, he star playing Ipad, laptop and also smart phones. My brother uses Twitter efficiently to spread out the closing and opening of the top ten stock in his company to let the players well informed. He said that the best thing about it is that its fast and cheap. All he got to do is type it from his Blackberry and post it. Imagine if companies choose to the the old style, they will definitely loose the connection of its customers. Business is not fashion, classics style just wont cut it.
To wrap it all up, I guess we are back to the basic rule. We have to set boundaries because we are only human and we tend to over do things. Children should be limit with their time consume on technology activities. Parents should encourage their children to do activities outdoor or anything that does not have to do with technology. I always imagine that if children are loosing their abilities to communicate face- to face and this continues one for years to come, they would be like robots when it comes to talking in person. On the other hand, for those who are using it for business wise, they should know the ethics social media so that they will not hurt themselves or their companies. It is such an irony, Social media is a great evolution, but we human sometimes tend to over use and take advantage out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment