Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Socialnomics Ch.5-10

Ch.5 I care more about what my neighbors think than what Google thinks.
Social media have been so popular mainly because people can update their status- where they are, what they are doing, or how they are feeling right now. Even though I sometimes do not like this feature if there are too many unnecessary updates, I like it because it saves time as previously mentioned in the earlier chapters.

I found myself in the example of Steve buying the right car seat. Steve in the book is me! I almost always read people’s reviews before I purchase something. Even if I do not plan to buy particular things, I still look for what people think about the products for future references. This saves me from buying not great products, money, and time for searching for good products.

Much of this chapter is about the increasing use of ebook readers such as iPad, Kindle, tablets, etc. I like how the author addresses both the benefits and drawbacks and limits of ebook readers. I like the idea of these electronic readers but I still prefer paperbacks. If I have something to read for classes, I print it out and read. I like the feeling of flipping each page and paper. Reading paperbacks also brings me memories of going to library and read books with the smell of library books. Ebook readers can be portable and convenient but it does not appeal that much to me yet.


Ch.6 Death of Social Schizophrenia
The author talks about websites like Amazon having “People who purchased this product also purchased others” sections for customers to see what others are buying. This way, we can see other people’s buying pattern and save time by not typing again to look for more products. I enjoy watching YouTube “Haul” videos where people just talk about what they just purchased and what they think of them. It is really fun to see what other girls like me are buying and I can also see what is “in” now.


Ch.7 Winners and Losers in a 140-chractoer world
The example of Rick Sanchez, SNN anchor, shows how he can be closer with people like me and how I can contribute to major media stream. I think what makes socialnomic winners and losers is that if the companies have the users/ customers who are willing to help connect the dots.

Qualman talks about how many people are shifting from paying for cable channels to watching online. I do not own a TV so I watch TV programs online. My favorite shows are Top Chef and America’s Next Top Model. I watch them on YouTube because it is free and some videos have HD quality. Even though I am forced to watch commercials before watching the actual videos, I can wait as I know when the shows will be back on and it is free!


Ch.8 Next steps for companies and the “Glass house generation”
Social media has “Power to the people”; it shapes how we behave, live, and work. We are the “glass house generation” as our privacy is not entirely protected and we are “watched.” On Facebook, we can tag ourselves and our friends so that we can share pictures. As “tagging is a huge driver of transparency” and being able to see social status updates, we now got the ability to see what they think about anything and everything.


Ch.9 Social Media Rolodex and resources
I find this chapter very helpful as there are social media people and resources.

I particularly like this sentence by Steve Kaufer, the CEO of TripAdvisor, “If you aren’t constantly evolving along with your customers you will be doomed to fail.” It kind of summarizes what companies must do to survive in this socialnomic world. If they do not meet with customers’ needs, they are losers.

No comments:

Post a Comment